Sunday, November 13, 2011

Finally!

Final blog post? Nahh. This is the end to a new beginning. A beginning of a stronger love for reading books on my own. I really have enjoyed this class and I didn't think it would have such a strong emphasis on reading and writing. But it has been so amazing! Before this class I will shamefully say that I only read one book this summer. But I had my reasons. I was destined and focused on taking care of my terminally ill Grandmother while my parents were gone at work. We'd do puzzles, sit outside under the cottonwood tree and listen to the crickets chirping mellifluous songs of happiness. My Grandma kept nagging me to read more, I didn't. But now, I've been reading non stop. It's something I do for a grade in etymology and for my Grandma. Reading for this class brings me back to the days when I would stay at her house and we would sit on her big bed with the soft fluffy white duvet and read an entire book. My favorite? Stuart Little of course! My Grandma always said I was her little mouse, because I was her youngest and smallest Grandchild, and the sweetest. During her last weeks on Earth, I asked her why she loved reading so much and she said,"Reading is my escape from thinking about cancer. Cancer maybe lethal, but reading NEVER is!"

No comments:

Post a Comment