Thursday, September 8, 2011

Sentences from "A Girl with a Pearl Earring"

-page 151- "I had wanted him to tell Catharina himself about me assisting him, to show that he was not afraid to tell her, that he supported me." "That is what I wanted."- Griet
In this statement, Griet is fed up with Catharina (Vermeer's wife) treating her bad and being suspicious and accusatory of what Griet and Vermeer were doing in the art studio. This in my opinion was a huge turning point in the story.

-page 159- "He is very powerful," "and you are but a maid. Who do you think will win that round of cards?" "You think I will become like the maid in the red dress?" "Only if you drink his wine."- conversation between Griet and Pieter at the meat market

-page 186- "You must take care then-" "Take care of what, sir?" "Take care to remain yourself." "To remain a maid, sir?" "That is not what I mean."- conversation between Griet and Vermeer
In this statement Vermeer reminds Griet to be herself and not be who he wants her to be. He wants her to be true to herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment