Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Favorite Sentences of the Quarter

1.)  A Girl with a Pearl Earring -page 159- "He is very powerful," "and you are but a maid. Who do you think will win that round of cards?" "You think I will become like the maid in the red dress?" "Only if you drink his wine."- conversation between Griet and Pieter at the meat market

        Why I love it- I love this paragraph, because it shows that Griet was coming out of her own little protective shell and standing up for herself. In the 1660's a girl would probably never do such a thing like what Griet does in this chapter but it inspires me to come out of my shell once in a while and stand up for what I think is right.

2.) A Girl with a Pearl Earring- Whatever Catholics did on Sundays, I did not want to be among them."- Griet

        Why I love it- I find it quite humorous that Griet had a little chip on her shoulder which was her dislike for the Roman Catholic Church. In the book, Griet is bothered and brutally disgusted by the large gold crucifix hanging on the wall across from her bed in her room. And I find it hilarious how Griet wasted no time in taking it down. It really showed me her rebellious side and that she was more than just a housemaid working for the Vermeers.

3.) -Page 9-"It will keep the family in bread. And a bit of cheese. That's not so little."- Griet

              Why I love it- I love how Griet is willingly going to live with the Vermeer family to keep her family afloat. This sentence was at the very beginning of the story and for her to say that so early on, shows a lot of maturity for a girl her age to say something like that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment